Thursday, June 20, 2013

Readin, Writin, and Rithmetic

Today is the birthday of Henry White born 1861, Cazenovia, New York.  White worked on invariant theory, the geometry of curves and surfaces, algebraic curves and twisted curves.  Invariant theory is a branch of abstract algebra dealing with actions of groups on algebraic varieties from the point of view of their effect on functions. The theory of plane and space curves and of surfaces in the three-dimensional Euclidean space formed the basis for development of differential geometry during the 18th century and the 19th century. Since the late 19th century, differential geometry has grown into a field concerned more generally with the geometric structures on differentiable manifolds.
 
Above is a triangle immersed in a saddle-shape plane (a hyperbolic paraboloid), as well as two diverging ultraparallel lines.

At the end of the school year my Advanced Algebra students and I had a discussion on what we were going to do during summer break.  I told them that I would be reading several books, writing on my blog, and doing mathematics.  After I listed the topics I would be reading: science fiction, fantasy, history, and mathematics, they were interested in my blog.  I explained that I love to write and I needed to write more to be a better writer.  Some of my students scoffed at the mention that I do math for fun.  I asked them would they be surprised if an English teacher wrote.  English teachers are not reading teachers, however, reading is an inherent part of Language Arts instruction and many English teachers read.  Industrial Technology teachers may build furniture.  Why shouldn't mathematics teachers do math?  I believe everyone should be engage in the three R's.  The mathematics can start with simple logic puzzles, a sudoku, or kenken.  Expand you mind, read a little math.  I suggest starting with Flatland by Edwin Abbott or Zero: The Biography of A Dangerous Idea by Charles Seife.  Read the biography of Alan Turing.  My brain as well as my body needs exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment